Skip to content

September 1, 2011

Skype on Ubuntu 11.10 (Oneiric Ocelot)

If you upgrade to Ubuntu 11.10 on a 64-bit platform and try to run skype then you will likely get this error:

skype: error while loading shared libraries: libXss.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

This is because libxss1 and a few other libraries have been removed from ia32-libs package.

You will need to enable multiarch and install the extra 32 bit libraries by hand:

echo foreign-architecture i386 | sudo tee /etc/dpkg/dpkg.cfg.d/multiarch
sudo aptitude update
sudo aptitude install libxss1:i386 libqtcore4:i386 libqt4-dbus:i386

This is all that is required to get the statically compiled version of Skype to work.

If you are running the dynamically compiled version or one that comes from mediabuntu or other source, you will need to pull in an extra package.
sudo aptitude install libqtgui4:i386

However, in my experience this pulls in too many unnecessary packages and some of them may be broken.

Update: I’ve done a fresh install of Oneiric and determined the following list of packages that need to be install to get skype working. In the mean time, please bug/pester Skype for real 64bit binaries.

sudo aptitude install libxss1:i386 libqtcore4:i386 libqt4-dbus:i386 libasound2:i386 libxv1:i386 libsm6:i386 libxi6:i386 libXrender1:i386 libxrandr2:i386 libfreetype6:i386 libfontconfig1:i386

21 Comments Post a comment
  1. anoop
    Sep 5 2011

thanks a lot

2. Mark Piper
    Sep 6 2011

Thought I was going to have a long evening fixing this, thanks for sharing.

3. Viktor Nguyen
    Sep 8 2011

Thks for sharing :-)

4. Sep 9 2011

You might want to change the ‘aptitude’ calls to ‘apt-get’, as aptitude is not normally installed on an Ubuntu system (and not required to make this work).

5. Shyam
    Sep 19 2011

Thanks buddy. You are a star. :)

6. bhaismachine
    Oct 14 2011

Are the 64 bit binaries provided on skype website not real 64 bit binaries ? Also they do not seem to work with Ubuntu 11.10 ?

7. Oct 14 2011

I have this error:
    skype: symbol lookup error: skype: undefined symbol: _ZN5QFile3mapExxNS_14MemoryMapFlagsE

8. JakeW
    Oct 14 2011

In Ubuntu 3D, whenever I’m receiving a call, the dialog pops up outside of the current workspace, but not really on any other workspace either. When I flip between workspaces, I can see it whiz by, but there’s no way to click on it. It’s in dialog purgatory! This doesn’t happen if I sign in using Ubuntu 2D.

Just wondering if anyone else experience this problem.

9. Jelster64
    Oct 16 2011

Thanks! I thought I would never be able to install Skype.

10. Primary Andy
    Oct 16 2011

I’m running ububtu 11:10 on a 32 bit laptop [thinkpad t41] it ran skype fine with my logitec webcam on 11:04 but now it runs skype but the audio is banjaxed! on a skype echo sound test I sound like a chipmunk! help linux folks

• Nov 23 2011

Just a guess, but it could be that your audio/video setup does not play well with the latest kernel.

11. Primary Andy
    Oct 16 2011

ps: also for some reason 11:10 will not run cheese

• mka
      Nov 22 2011

Cheese on 11.10 without any issues.

12. Phil
    Oct 20 2011

For Ubuntu 11.10 Try and use this for basic installation – it worked for me:

• Nov 23 2011

I also tried these first on Oneiric (11.10) and it did not work for me. :(

If it works for you and others, that is great. They could have updated the packages. The main issue was that the ia32libs package no longer had the libraries that skype needed.

13. Federico
    Feb 1 2012

Thank you so much!! This solved my problem in Ubuntu 11.10 64

14. lanoxx
    Feb 15 2012

Installing libqtgui4:i386 conflicts with libmysqlclient16

has anyone seen this issue before?

15. MantraMan
    Jun 11 2012

Using Ubuntu 12.04 (Precise) and Skype Static 2.2.0.99 I found I also needed to install libtiff4:i386.

Trackbacks & Pingbacks

1. Skype in Ubuntu Precise alpha | Callum Macdonald

Share your thoughts, post a comment.

(required)
(required)

Note: HTML is allowed. Your email address will never be published.

%d bloggers like this: