Ubuntu 11.04 Natty with fglrx and 2.6.39
Natty (11.04) users can finally get fglrx playing nicely together with X.org 1.10. We can also make the latest driver work well with the 2.6.39 kernel.
Custom build procedure:
- Install the latest 2.6.39 kernel revision from Ubuntu Mainline or install the PPA.
- Download 64-bit 11.4.
- Extract the files from the package:
sh ./ati-driver-installer-11-4-x86.x86_64.run --extract ati
- For 2.6.39 support, download this extra patch: 2.6.39_bkl.patch
- Check for Big Kernel Lock usage:
cat /lib/modules/`uname -r`/build/.config | grep -c CONFIG_BKL=y
If the result of this command is 0, then download no_bkl.patch as well.
- then apply them:
cd ati; for i in ../*.patch; do patch -p1 < $i; done
- Build your new ati/fglrx deb packages:
./ati-installer.sh 8.841 --buildpkg Ubuntu/natty
- Install our newly created deb packages:
sudo dpkg -i ../fglrx*.deb
- If your /etc/X11/xorg.conf is missing you will need to run:
sudo aticonfig --initial
and then reboot.
That newly created package should work for the entire 2.6.39 series.