Natty (11.04) users can finally get fglrx playing nicely together with X.org 1.10. We can also make the latest driver work well with the 2.6.39 kernel.
Custom build procedure:
- Install the latest 2.6.39 kernel revision from Ubuntu Mainline or install the PPA.
- Download 64-bit 11.4.
- Extract the files from the package:
sh ./ati-driver-installer-11-4-x86.x86_64.run --extract ati
- For 2.6.39 support, download this extra patch: 2.6.39_bkl.patch
- Check for Big Kernel Lock usage:
cat /lib/modules/`uname -r`/build/.config | grep -c CONFIG_BKL=y
If the result of this command is 0, then download no_bkl.patch as well.
- then apply them:
cd ati; for i in ../*.patch; do patch -p1 < $i; done
- Build your new ati/fglrx deb packages:
./ati-installer.sh 8.841 --buildpkg Ubuntu/natty
- Install our newly created deb packages:
sudo dpkg -i ../fglrx*.deb
- If your /etc/X11/xorg.conf is missing you will need to run:
sudo aticonfig --initial
and then reboot.
That newly created package should work for the entire 2.6.39 series.